Thursday 13 February 2014

England



 19/9/14
I received this Staffy postcard from Emmelie. It is amazing to see how much we have change the breed through selective breeding. I walked a Staffy at the weekend and he looked nothing like this one!

Many thanks for the postcard!







*****

(No date)
Gilly sent me this lovely Bulldog after we arranged a private swap. She told me about her trip to Yorkshire, where she visited the Heritage Centre, then went to a Sculpture Park. The weather was very good for her, and I think it's due to last for a bit of an extended summer, which is always nice!

Thanks for the postcard.











*****

14/8/14
Fiona sent me this lovely postcard showing scenes from London in sepia tone, with the key landmarks in Red. There is a lot of Red in London! She likes the London Eye and hopes to visit the Capital again soon.

Thanks for the postcard!





*****

 13/8/14
On her recent trip to London, Fiona visited London Zoo and picked up this postcard for me. I have never been to London Zoo - everytime I am down in London I never have enough time as I reckon I could easily spend 2 days there! Military Macaws are really impressive birds, and I certainly wouldn't want to try and take food off them!

Thanks for the postcard!








*****

5/8/14
Fiddo sent me this postcard from his homeland of Indonesia. He is currently studying in England but seems to be travelling around the UK visiting places when he has time. He has never visited Komodo Island because it is quite far from where he lived.

Thanks for the postcard, good luck with your studies and have fun in the UK!




*****

 5/8/14
Valerie sent me this delightful postcard of a Yellow Wagtail. She lives in Warwickshire and is surrounded by lots of parks, which are always full of birds! She also gets birds in her garden, and mentions the sparrows that always sound like they are bickering with one another. I have a soft spot for sparrows as there is a large family of them on my street.

Thanks for the postcard!


*****

5/8/14
Paula sent me this adorable postcard showing a Harvest Mouse from the New Forest Wildlife Park. I visited the New Forest many years ago and remember begging my mum for us to visit the Otter and Owl Park (as it used to be called), but for some reason we never went.
I recently visited Slimbridge in Gloucestershire and enjoyed watching their collection of mice, particularly the Harvest Mice which were running frantically trying to cache food!

Thanks for the postcard!







*****

28/4/14
I met Jacques through bird ringing and he agreed to send me a postcard of his local "patch" when he returned home from University. He visited Dungeness NR, where warblers were singing and a possible bittern was hiding in the reeds. He then visited Rye Harbour NR, where many species of Tern and Gull breed, as well as feeding Avocets. He comments that migrants were in short supply but did spot two Swallows "but that does not yet make a summer".

Thanks for the postcard and the info on your local birds. Might get down that way for a visit one day!

*****

12/4/14
Amy sent me this postcard from Dawlish Warren NNR in Devon. She visited on a field course and spent her time assessing the impact of managed realignment on migratory birds. There weren't that many migratory birds when she was visiting, but she was very happy to see a Glaucous Gull.

Thanks so much for the postcard, and I hope you do well with your project - it sounds very interesting!


*****

11/3/14
Vicki sent me this lovely postcard as a thank you for sending her a card for her brothers birthday. I can't tell what flowers they are, but very pretty anyway!

Thanks for the postcard and I hope he has a great day!





*****

1/3/14
Marina tagged me in the UK-UK TAG on Postcrossing. She was quite jealous that her husband visited Exmoor on a walking trip, and brought her back some postcards. I'm sure next time he'll take you with him! She mentioned the current flooding and said that the wildlife must be as affected as the people who live there. Fingers crossed it dries up soon.

Thanks for the postcard, must get down there one day!

*****



I sent Linda a message on Couchsurfing asking if she would like to exchange postcards with me. She is studying in Brighton at the moment, but is originally from Sabah, Malaysia. I visited Brighton briefly a couple of years ago when my ex was working there, but I didn't see much of this busy seaside town. I enjoy receiving postcards from other places in the UK that I have yet to visit properly, as they seem slightly more achievable on my list of places to go!

Thanks to Linda for the postcard, and I hope to catch up with you when you go travelling at the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment