Saturday 22 March 2014

Japan



23/9/14
I love this postcard! It was sent to me by Noriko, who wrote my name in Japanese! She also told me the Japanese for Owl (Fukurou), Oriental Stork (Kouno Tori) and Japanese Crane (Tancho). Maybe one day I will visit and be able to use these words with the locals!

Thanks so much for this unique card - I'm going to try and identify the species with some help from other birding friends!




*****

30/8/14
Sun bought this postcard at Tennoji Zoo in Osaka. According to him, the Owl is a good symbol in Japan, so everyone likes seeing owls. At the zoo there were lots of different animals, including bears, penguins and monkeys.

Thanks for your postcard.










*****

8/8/14
Saki sent me this lovely postcard showing a Japanese Hokkaido Squirrel, a cousin to the Red Squirrel that we have in the UK. It looks very similar but our squirrels don't have as much of a pale chest and I think the Asian cousin may win on ear tufts!

Thanks for the postcard.





*****

30/5/14
Kayu sent me this postcard from Mt Fuji, which is now a World Heritage Site. This was sent as a TAG called "postcard from next journey" which I think is a great idea, sending a postcard to a random person while on your holiday.

Thanks so much for the postcard, and I hope you had a good time visiting this impressive mountain.









*****

31/3/14
Kat sent me this vintage "ad" postcard from Japan. It is advertising the Sapporo Brewery. Just before the war, Japanese women stopped wearing the kimono, and instead adopted the American "flapper" style, which I love!

Thanks so much for the postcard and the information about Postcrossing - I will definitely be sticking with it.



22/3/14
I included Japan on my list of "countries I would like to visit" for a tag. It is a country that has always intrigued me, so I was very happy to receive this postcard from Pjazz et al. They explained that it is actually quite rare to see a Maiko girl in public places, except at special events. Sometimes you can see them going to work around the Gion area of Kyoto, but you are lucky to see them.

Thanks so much for the card, and I hope to say Konnichiwa! someday in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment